- Sam Shepard in a western is always awesome. Even that silly one about history’s most famous gunslingers stuck in purgatory.
- Brad Pitt is a pretty menacing and unstable Jesse James.
- Casey Affleck’s Creepy Nervous Smile™.
- Molasses slow pacing made me want to shoot Jesse James way before Affleck actually did it.
- Could they have smeared more Vaseline on the lens?
- Perfect placement of bathtubs plus heavy use of post-processing evokes erectile dysfunction drug commercial.
- James Carville loves attention. Thanks for taking work away from a character actor who probably could have used the paycheck, Jimmy.
- Lots of extended takes of characters with watery eyes staring at things.
- Narration started out as an interesting choice then became tiresome, then annoying.
An interesting story with some good performances, but excessive post-processing and coma-inducing pace ultimately fails to hold my attention. I guess long, inward-looking-to-the-point-of-almost-crying-all-the-time westerns aren’t for me. (IMDb)